Cameras+Films now has the BIG STAX instant camera!
The BIG STAX is a hybrid/hack/mod Texolux system created by joining a vintage Polaroid BIG SHOT Portrait Camera front-end with a FujiFilm INSTAX WIDE instant film camera back. This mod breathes new life into a marvelous, quirky, rigid-box camera, originally designed solely for portraits using pack-film, the last of which expired in 2018 and has been rising to insane levels of risk and cost for any that’s old and unused…
BIG SHOT vs. BIG STAX — what stays and what goes?
- We kept the entire FRONT of the Big Shot camera, including its:
- Legendary, fabulous 220mm f/29 plastic lens,
- Single-speed (1/43 — 1/52 sec.) mechanical shutter-release,
- Integral thumb-rest (watch out — they break),
- Three-position aperture control — standard, lighter, darker,
- The Magicube socket and translucent flash-diffuser lens,
- The Big Shot grip-handle, with its fixed-focus rangefinder,
- And the requisite “Big Shot Shuffle” focusing technique…
- We got rid of the Big Shot’s BACK end, including its:
- Clumsy, difficult-to-open-and-load, wire-clamp-locking back panel with integral 60-second mechanical timer,
- The pack-film innards — film holder, rollers/spreaders, and the pull-eject flaps, etc.
INSTAX WIDE vs. BIG STAX — what stays and what goes?
- We kept the BACK end of the Instax Wide camera, including its:
- Reliable film loading and ejecting mechanism,
- Ability to use readily-available Instax Wide instant films!
- We got rid of the Instax Wide’s FRONT end, including its:
- Lens with simplified closeup/distance focus settings,
- Shutter release…
Process Videos: Packing up the Big Shots!
Email info@theBIGSTAX.com if you’re interested in buying a BIG STAX!
Check out our online store: Cameras+Films